What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: My monocytes are 23.1 and the sed rate is 47, hemoglobin is 10.2, wbc normal rbc low? What additional test do I need to take to determine the source of my problem?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Serum iron profile

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your hemoglobin is bit low with low RBC count which suggests low production in bone marrow. Low hemoglobin can explain high ESR as well. Commonly this is due to iron deficiency. You are on iron but still I would suggest getting a serum iron, TIBC and ferritin to be sure.

If oral iron is not sufficient, you can take injectable iron.

Hope this helps.