What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I just received my results from lab work. The Urea nitrogen/Creatinine results were flagged as "high" at 20.9.
Cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely that this is a cause for concern:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Gigi,

I am assuming that the lab value here was the BUN to Creatinine ratio from blood (not urine). This is a calculated number, and the reference range for it is usually around 6-22. It's possible the lab that did your blood work has a lower number for it's range, and therefore it was flagged. But a ratio of 20.9 is not usually concerning without other concerning history or a gradually climbing number to give it some context.

The upper number of the ratio, the blood urea nitrogen, can often go up quite high when we are dehydrated. Since the BUN is the upper number in the ratio, a higher BUN can increase the ratio.

Was this a routine lab draw for preventive health reasons, or was it drawn because of a health problem?

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
This lab work was required for a cosmetic procedure (breast augmentation.) :)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Info:

Detailed Answer:
If the creatinine was ok and if you maybe hadn't drunk enough water the day the blood work was drawn, then it is probably nothing to be concerned about. Talk with your doctor, though, who can compare your lab results with previous ones.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Thank you very much for your detailed and informative responses. I am grateful for this website.

Be well.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome!

Detailed Answer:

If in the future you would like to ask another question and have it come specifically to me, you can put my name at the beginning of your question and it will be routed to me.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD