• question-icon

What do my lab test results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a slight rash on my belly button and the area is slightly sensitive on touch. I’m not in any pain though. I went to a CVS Minute Clinic and will summarize what they said before asking you my questions.
The report the Minute Clinic typed up said I have a “rash” and “a small umbilical hernia upon palpation.” It also says “0.25 inch in diameter erythematous area at the umbilicus.” She asked me to cough a few times while touching my abdomen and said I have slight muscle weakness. I have had the rash for about 3 days. I was prescribed Clindamycin 300 MG capsule every 6 hours for 10 days. I don’t have a fever or any other symptoms and otherwise feel fine.
So here are my questions:
-Is the hernia related to this rash or have I likely had it for a long time? Will I need surgery? I’ve read about hernia strangulation and that sounds scary but surgery is scary too.
-If I don’t have surgery, could strangulation happen at any time (meaning I shouldn’t go on vacation)? If I do have the surgery, would it be a quicker recovery time since the hernia is small right now?
-How likely is the treatment to work for the rash and how long should it take?
-It says to take the Clindamycin every 6 hours. Do I have to wake up at night to take it since I normally sleep 7 to 8 hours? Can I take it when I wake up at 6 AM, then noon, 6PM, and 10PM?
I’m an anxious person and this is scary to me. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Umbilical Hernia with Rash / Under Assessment for treatment

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans- Umbilical Hernia with Rash / Under Assessment for treatment

Hi Dear !! Thanks for your query to HCM.
Read and reviewed the facts of your query in context to your health issues and worried with it.I understood your health concerns and feel concerned about it.

Following are the replies to your various queries-

Q-1-Is the hernia related to this rash or have I likely had it for a long time? Will I need surgery? I’ve read about hernia strangulation and that sounds scary but surgery is scary too.

Ans-1-Chances of Strangulation in umbilical hernia are more in the active years of life. For your age you seem to be physically active young man.Hence planned Surgery is better than Emergency Surgery, which you should avoid as the life risks from Surgical Complications are more.

This would help you to decide on - remaining silent and inactive with no treatment would be more scary than having a planned Surgery for your Undetected Umbilical Hernia.

Q-2-a-If I don’t have surgery, could strangulation happen at any time (meaning I shouldn’t go on vacation)?
Ans-2-a-Yes, chances of Strangulation happening any time are more and especially when you are planning to go on Vacation, where there will be un-controlled physical activity.To go or not to go on Vacation is your Choice in this scenario.

Q-2-b-If I do have the surgery, would it be a quicker recovery time since the hernia is small right now?
Ans-2-b-Definitely....With small hernia size and less tissue distortion in the area, the recovery time would be less, if surgery is done in a planned way by proper work of your other health issues, if any.

Q-3-How likely is the treatment to work for the rash and how long should it take?
Ans-3-In 10 Days time.... with proper care of the Umbilical Area, under your Surgeon's/ doctors supervision.

Q-4-It says to take the Clindamycin every 6 hours. Do I have to wake up at night to take it since I normally sleep 7 to 8 hours? Can I take it when I wake up at 6 AM, then noon, 6PM, and 10PM?
Ans-4-Yes You can.No worries. Don't be scary if you want to deal this issue in the best possible way.You need to take bold and timely decisions to come out of this health issue .

Hope this would resolve your health worries and anxiety with it.

Welcome with any other query in this regard.

Good Day !!
Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon