What do my lab test result indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: My son is nine and has a lump on the upper arm soft tissue. the radiologist said features of the lesion in the region are suspicious of a neuroma. What does this mean
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neuroma is a benign tumour of nerve tissue origin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Neuroma is a benign tumor of nerve tissue origin. It is found as a well defined lump under the skin. If possible please upload the x ray and report and I will have a look at that.

2. It is a slow growing tumour and is harmless. Some patients can have pain due to nerve pinching in the area when the tumour causes pressure on the nerve.

3. Though your radiologist has made a diagnosis of probable neuroma on x ray, it is always better to get a clinical opinion. If required a higher imaging technique likr ultrasound, CT scan or MRI scan will be required for detailed assessment.

4. The confirmatory diagnosis of a neuroma is by doing a simple needle test called FNAC. Depending on the size, location and growth of the lesion, your doctor might request for a FNAC test to get a confirmd diagnosis.

5. Treatment is usually wait and watch. If the lump is painful and grows big then surgical excision is advised. This is usually a minor surgery procedure.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak