• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I haven't missed my period yet but keep getting very faint lines on all my tests some light then others assuming because my hcg is not high enough yet. Does this mean I'm pregnant I have had two other pregnancies and never had this issue. I do know my hcg always runs low
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A second line,even if mildely visible means the pregnacy hormone is present

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

The positive second line in the pregnancy test, even if slightly visible, means presence of bHcg.
A woman who is not pregnant, does not have bHcg at all because it is a hormone produced in pregnancy.

So, unless you are breastfeeding or have had an abortion the last 6 months, then you are pregnant. This because it happens sometimes that after a pregnancy the levels of bHcg may last until 6 months.
On the other side, the period that you say you haven't missed, might have been the implantation bleeding, which corresponds the time of the expected period, is very likely to a period but in smaller quantity of bleeding.

Consider doing a pregnancy test in 1 week, and if the line continues to be still not clear, then a bHcg level in the blood would rule out or confirm pregnancy for sure.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 16 minutes later
Now why would one get darker and the others since then been faint. Did i just happen to have alot of hcg in my pee? Im just worries sinxe they flucuate frol very very faint to visible
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
The visibility of the positive line is not related with the level of bHcg.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

The pregnancy test is not a quantitative test, but only qualitative. That means that it is very good test to tell if there is or no pregnancy, but it is not good of saying how much the pregnancy is and neither if it is healthy or not.

As I said above, the right test to tell that is the confirmation of pregnancy by the bHcg level in the blood.

Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako