• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have a son that is 13 and at the age of 11 started having seizures. Most of the seizures have been the staring kind but, he also has had convulsive seizures. I have wondered if the pituitary gland can be the cause. At the age of 9 is started getting pimples and growing pubic hair. He has grown in height very quickly. He had trouble sleeping some nights, he says he isn't tired even though he didn't have very much sleep the night before. A couple years before the seizures started he had terrible headaches. The only injury that I have been able to remember him having was a fall in a tile shower when he was around 4 years old. He has had several test including an MRI, Echo cardiogram, and an EEG. The EEG showed abnormal activity on the left side of the brain,which the left side is the side he fell on. He has seen a Neurologist but he wasn't interested in finding the cause only a medication that would stop the seizures, which no medication that he prescribed ever stopped the seizures. Another problem that he has is his speech has been affected. He sometimes has a break in his speech in the middle of the word. Any help or information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About pituitary possible pathologies:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern and can understand your situation.
Your doubt about pituitary abnormality is right, the symptoms,( a rapid growth , early public hair, ect) do suggest for an endocrinological pathology but the MRI excludes tumors, or other pathologies of pituitary gland. So, at this point it is quite impossible to have pituitary abnormalities.
A thyroid function evaluation would be important and a detailed clinical examination by an endocrinologist is mandatory (as he has the above mentioned symptoms but not as the cause of seizures).
Hope the information will help and wish your son a very good health!
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist