• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: STATEMENT 1: cervical Collars can reduce pain by limiting motion and by raising the head with an adjustable chip support, thereby taking the weight of the head off of the neck muscles and relieving the burden of these supporting muscles surrounding the collapsing intervertrabral discs that results in decompressing the cervical spinal nerves.
>
QUESTION 1- True? if not, please explain and/or edit statement so that it IS true
>
>
STATEMENT 2: Please refer to our previous "threads" for my MRI findings. I have a "burning" type nerve pain symptom in my hands.
>
See ATTACHED FILE "Sensory Territories of the Hand" for location of my "burning" type nerve pain symptom
>
I take a combination of an anti-convulsant and anti-depressant to relieve my pain
>
IN YOUR OPINION: Is my for my "burning" type nerve pain symptom in my hands a:
>
1) neuropathic pain manifestation of radiculopathy (nerve root irritation or compression resulting in upper extremity symptoms that may cause a deep aching or stabbing pain down the arm.(MY PAIN IS A BURNING PAIN IN MY HANDS) , weakness (NONE), or paresthesias (COMPLETE NUMBNESS IN BOTH OUTER PALMS)
>
It occurs in a dermatomal distribution and usually affects both arms. YES MY ULNAR, MEDIAN AND Paresthesia may cause numbness,(YES) tingling, (NO) or a pinprick sensation.(NO)
>
2) Myelopathy may result in little or no dysfunction—or severe dysfunction, with any of the following:
>
I HAVE NO UPPER OR LOWER LIMB MOTOR PROBLEMS
>
I HAVE NO BLADDER PROBLEMS
>
THANKS
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Answers

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Statement 1 is true. There is some amount of cervical spine restriction of mobility on wearing the collar but it is not absolute restriction of movement.

Among all the choices given in Statement 2 I would go with Cervical radiculopathy because I'd the radiating nature of the pain.
It is possible that you have Peripheral neuropathy. This could be due to variety of causes. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be a cause as well as Diabetes. Burning pain is less associated with Cervical disc prolapse.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon