• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi. Yes, I had 2 seizures 5 years ago, then one last December, and two this past May. The first I know was abrupt discontinuation of alcohol, but the last four were not as I was not drinking ANYTHING like I was before...only socially. Before I was suffering from post partum depression. Anyway my EEG and MRI from last week show nothing abnormal, so my neuro says I'm epileptic, which seems like a catch-all for "we don't know". He says perhaps this is a result of a bad fall I took down wooden stairs 15 years ago. Any advice?
Oh, my email is YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Epileptic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Of course, the kind of history which you have mentioned says of recurrent seizure episodes recently without any provocating factor(alcohol), indicates that you are epileptic.

Epilepsy is usually a clinical diagnosis.Even if EEG and MRI Brain does not show any abnormality, even then your diagnosis does not change and you should be on antiepileptic medicines.

Hope that helps.If you have any further specific questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 54 minutes later
Hi Dr. Panwar,
What do you think of Dr. Lin's suspicion of the late onset of epilepsy being caused by a head trauma 15 yrs. ago? Also, his prescription of Trokendi? And, how big a factor is diet? I must confess, I have a very poor appetite and I abhor grocery shopping, so my meal planning is terrible.
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Head trauma can be the precipitating factor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I agree with Dr.Lin's suspicion of epilepsy precipitated by the Head trauma.That in fact, is very likely. Head injury sequelae may result in epilepsy commonly. Trokendi can be taken as well, as a first line drug. Diet should not play a very big role in seizure causation. Overall, Your treating doctor thinks very logically.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist