• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i checked my Vitamin D three months ago,My Vitamin D level was 26, i went to physician and he suggested me D3 (1000) IU once daily. i checked my Vitamin D level after 3 months but level is still 26.i am attaching my report and medicine image.please suggest me for future.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iron or magnesium difficiency

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . vitamin d difficiency that is not responding to supplements can be due to a number of reasons including:
1) magnesium difficiency which is needed for vitamin d absorption, so I would recommend that you check on your blood magnesium level
2) taking vitamin d on empty stomach , so I would recommend that you take the supplement with or just after a large meal but avoid taking it after dinner
3) iron difficiency anemia as iron is important for vitamin d difficiency , so I would recommend that you get a CBC test to check on your hemoglobin level
4) high body mass index also will require double the regular dose to improve the condition
I hope I answered your question, if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 56 minutes later
Dear, I am overweight and my weight is 107 KG with 5 Feet 10 inch height.My Hemoglobin level always remain 11.5 to 12.5 so Dr took test for iron deficiency and others(reports attached) and found i am suffering in thalassemia minor. so he gave me one Folic acid tablet on daily basis.My uric acid level was high 3 months ago at 9.0 but after taking zurig 40mg ( febuxostat) on daily basis now level decrease to 6.0 (reports attached). i am taking Byscard 2.5 mg (Nebivolo) for Blood pressure and heart palpitation since 3 years.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Double the dose

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, the decreased hemoglobin level together with the elevated body mass index are the cause of the irresponsiveness to the vitamin D supplements.

I would recommend that you double the dose of Vitamin D supplement and make. Please also make sure that you take the vitamin D with or after a large meal to give it plenty of absorption time.

I hope you find this helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman