What do my lab test reports indicate?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My wife age 42 has TSH of 76. Weight increased to 98kg. What to do?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as per pathological reports

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your post on HealthcareMagic.

I do understand your pain and discomfort

"As" per your medical pathological report is concerned she has under active thyroid hormone. So she needs thyroid hormone regularly. So let me know few more things about her to confirm lab reports first-:

1)Dose she feels weakness after little work?

2)Dose she feels increased sensitivity to cold?

3)Has she any history of constipation?

4)Any pain and stiffness in joints ?

5)Dose she has irregular and heavy periods?

If you have at least two symptoms present then she is to take levothyroxine for lifetime and it is a prescription drug so your treating doctor will prescribe for you. To determine the right dosage of levothyroxine, your doctor will check TSH every month until it reaches normal range. Once it reaches normal range she needs to do it 3 months interval for one year and 6 months interval from next years.

Certain medications, supplements and even some foods may affect your ability to absorb levothyroxine.so talk with your doctor whether you are taking soy products or high fiber or you take medications like iron, cholestyramine, aluminum hydroxide and calcium etc

You need to consult with a dietitian to make a diet plan for her and add a multivitamin every day at bed time.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana