What do my lab test reports indicate?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 46 years old, 235 lbs, 5'10" tall. I was a medium drinker for about 8 years until 2010 and then increase to a heavier drinker from 4 to 6 drinks during the week and more on the weekends for about 6 years. Last year I decrease my drinking up until Sept 2016 and then increased again. For the past two weeks I have been moderate at drinking and am mentally ready to continue this. for 15 months I have been eating well with salads 4-5 days a week, vegetables and supplements. Also, had a normal result from my endoscopy last year. My question is the following - March of 2016 my liver panel and blood tests were all normal in addition to a normal physical. This included AST, ALT proteins, white count, bilirubin, etc. If I continue with a moderate drinking lifestyle going forward drinking only on weekends no more than 4-7 drinks in a day, in addition to the other lifestyle changes, will my liver results this spring continue to improve or at least be the same as last year. I have a momentary set of nerves after reading about liver disease too much. Also, no live disease in my family.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
impact of alcohol on liver

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern on alcohol related liver diseases.
Alcohol is not good for health. I would suggest you to stop drinking alcohol.
It is true that alcohol affect liver function. But this affects over period of time, not immediate effect. Having normal health check-up doesn't mean that your body would tolerate alcohol better.
Your drinking habit, years since drinking all affect the prospective function of liver cells.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 40 minutes later
I understand. My primary question is this" would the alcohol consumption over the past 11 months be enough to severely damage my liver, after having a very normal liver panel and blood work last year." Would the past 11 months be enough to drastically change my liver health from the apparent healthy liver of 11 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
No drastic change in liver function immediately

Detailed Answer:
I apologize for late reply.
No. Consumption of alcohol moderately to heavily over past 11 months does not affect liver function DRASTICALLY as this is evident in your case as normal liver function test. But my explanation was about gradual deterioration of liver function over the years in comparison to general population who do not consume alcohol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana