What do my lab test reports indicate?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi doctor
My father have heart problem and he did already two times angioplasty surgery. after 2.5 years of angioplasty he went one day temple and climed 108 stairs after 2 days he again got heart pain then he went for doctor , after checkup he said, in heart chamber some muscles fat increased and need to do operation.
kindly suggest what to do now and is any other way to overcome this problem, is any medicines works
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do upload the Medical reports . Thanking you in anticipation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I went through the information to us have provided . I would request you to upload the investigation report ( Echocardiography or MRI) based on which the recommendation was made and also the past medical papers of the angioplasty.
Also upload the medication he is taking so I can recommend if any change would help him .
Regards Dr. Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Priyank Mody 11 hours later
hello doctor
I have attached the reports and medicines slip also kindly have a look and please please suggest what can I should
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes surgery is justified in your father's case based on the reports attache

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I went through the reports you have attached .
Now your father has a condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy whereby one wall of the heart is thicker than normal and hence it causes obstruction to outflow of blood in some patients . It's congenital and not related to the artery blocked which was treated previously.
My observations are .
1) If your father has symptoms like breathlessness, palpitation and dizziness while he walks fast or climbs stairs , surgery would be a good option at this point of time .
2) The gradients have been the same since 2014 ( one report suggests that it was 70 mm hg even in 2014 ). More than 50 should be treated .
3) For symptoms one may consider increasing the dose of metoprolol to 100 mg a day from 50 mg.
May add disopyramide to the regime he is already on . This would help in resolution of symptoms and may give you time for surgery .
4) There is an option of alcohol septal ablation, if he doesn't want to undergo surgery however the selection of case depends of the angiography report ( the size of septal branch and 2nd there it supplies the hypertrophic segment ) .

As it's a rare disease, the above may be a little difficult to understand and hence you can discuss the same with your doctor .
Also there is a chance of transmission to children and hence you should get an echocardiography done for you and all other siblings.

Regards Dr. Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T