What do my lab test reports indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I have had chronic neck pain for the last 4 months of my life. I have attached several documents, only 1 of the images dates to a study done on March 10, 2016 (labeled at the top left on image). The rest of the images were taken last week.

Question #1- from looking at the study, can you tell me the source of my pain? if not you, who?

Question #2 - I've attached two reports because a Dr told me I had stiff neck and I had lost curvature of the cervical spine (read from the march 10 study attached). Since march I've been taking therapy, Can you tell me if my neck has regained normality?

Question #3 - Ive also been having lower back pain. From these lower back studies, can you Identify the source and reason of pain?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Slight improvement noted in neck but physiotherapy needs to be continued

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The straighening of the cervical spine persists and this shows your pain might be from neck muscle spasm and compression of nerve roots by intervertebral discs. The compression of nerve roots is a cause of chronic neck pain and this cannot be detected on x ray alone. If the pain is severe and to know the exact cause of your chronic neck pain, it is recommended that you get a MRI cervical spine done. This will show in detail abot the nerve roots and if there is any compression by the discs.

2. The loss of curvature of the cervical spine is seen on old and new x rays and is the same as before but the disc spaces look clear in the new x ray showing slight improvement. Due to the muscles being in a state of spasm, it can take some time to get back to normal. Improvement in the cervical muscle spasm is subjective and if you are feeling better after doing physiotherapy then it is working for you. Please continue doing physiotherapy.

3. In the lower back, the curvature of the spine is maintained. However, we are unable to aassess the discs adequately on x ray and any disc problems cannot be evaluated. Often, the discs get degenerated and this can cause pressure on the nerve roots and gives rise to pain, similar to what occurs in cervical spine.

If your pain continues to be severe, it is suggested that you get a cervical spine MRI scan done and a screening MRI of lumbar spine.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina