question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016
Question: Hi my husband is 32 years old. On a regular health check up we noticed his Total cholesterol is 5.9 and Total bilirubin is 28 umol/L which are not in the normal range. Pls advice. I have attached the test report.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This results are only slightly elevated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Both bilirubin level and cholesterol level are only slightly elevated. This means this is nothing serious. Especially that liver enzymes are fine.
Most likely your husband has fatty liver what is the main cause of such bilirubin result. It would be good to have abdominal ultrasound to confirm it.

To make cholesterol and bilirubin lower, he should start with diet improvement. Ask him to avoid fatty foods, fried foods and alcohol. The cholesterol and bilirubin should be checked after a month. If no improvement, medicines called statins can be give to lower the cholesterol down.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon