What do my lab test reports indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXX...My doctor got back my pelvic ultrasound results and for a ovarian cystic mass on the left ovary .. I'm 36 years old and I am scared to death.. They schedule an MRI 10 days later and I feel that it's not soon enough considering on my altrasound report the radiologist suggested Ovarian cystic neoplasm which is freaking me out... If they thought it was cancer wouldn't they get me in quicker for the MRI so I can have my surgery?? I mean the surgeon emailed me and said "No this does not mean you have cancer" but he isn't saying I don't either ... Just feel like waiting is a bad idea??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get serum Ca 125 levels evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Waiting for MRI scan for 10 days is not a very big delay. MRI scan will only detect the extent of the cyst and any lymph node enlargement in the pelvis. A more important investigation is serum CA 125 levels which if raised are more suggestive of an ovarian neoplasm. You can get your blood investigations done meanwhile so that in case MRI scan suggests a malignancy then a surgery can be scheduled soon.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal