What do my cholesterol test results indicate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi. I am a 59 year old female. I am hypo thyroid but it is controlled with medication. My cholesterol numbers are the following: Total Cholesterol: 241, Tryglicerides 48, HDL 99, LDL 132, Chol/hdl ratio: 2.4, Non HDL cholesterol 142. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 155 lbs. I exercise daily. We do have early heart disease in our family. My father who was a smoker had an early heart attack. I would like to avoid a statin and have an appt to discuss with my doctor. What is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet and lifestyle adjustments

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your cholesterol levels are slightly high and with Coronary artery disease in family history, you should take extra precautions with your health to avoid any such incident. Modifying diet and lifestyle works as good as statins. So i would suggest you increase your exercise, reduce your caloric consumption, prefer foods that are healthy and helpful in reducing cholesterol like oatmeals, brans, fishes( mackerel, tuna, sardine, herring etc) , omega 3 oils, walnuts, avocados etc all help with the cholesterol levels. Keep an eye on your cholesterol and maintain a good diet and lifestyle and i am sure you wont even need a statin. Discuss your options with your doctor and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please..

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 36 minutes later
Ok I will make some changes. I already exercise most days should I aim for every day? Is red meat out of the question? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Meat in average quantities is not worrisome. Make sure its not spiced with too much oils and sauces.Also make sure there is no fat attached to it. And yes aim for every day exercises 45 to 60 minutes of brisk walk alone would do the job. Reducing caloric intake and increasing caloric consumption is the key to stay healthy. Proteins like whey proteins and casein help your cholesterol levels too. Avoid trans and saturated fats and aim for lowest intake.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 14 hours later
Is 160 pounds too high for a 5'6" 59 year old woman? I take an aromatose inhibitor for Estrogen positive breast cancer (2009). I don't want to blame the medication but it is extremely hard for me to lose weight. I cannot believe how much physical exercise I do and my weight stays the same. I will keep working on it but lately I have been frustrated! Thank you for your input.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

160 is not that bad for the height but a few pounds less than that say 150 would be wonderful. Just carry up the good diet and lifestyle activities, even this weight will do good. BMI of 25 is good enough.

I hope it helps.
Khan