What do my blood test results indicate?

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: I had a missed abortion surgery on 1st Aug. 2- 3 weeks following the surgery i had bad throat infection , fever and chest congestion. Doctor prescribed me augmentin 625(3 times),vizylac(2 times) ,montair fx and ascoril ls. I have done the blood work. The results are as follows
Dengue ns1 non reactive
ÇRP is much higher than normal range i.e 75
Lymphocyte count is bit lower 18%
Haemoglobin 11.1
ESR is also on the higher side
Fever is recurrent(100-101). Wanted to know whether miscarriage can cause low immunity problems?

Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

All your reports are indicative of infection somewhere in the body. This could have been due the infected missed abortion.

High CRP does indicate infection somewhere in the body, may be in the uterus or may be in the throat. Low Lymphocyte count could be due to raised Neutrophils count. Though your haemoglobin is not very low, please start iron preparation to increase it. Would you please upload all your reports so that I can have a comprehensive look at it.

Are you having any foul smelling vaginal discharge? If so it does indicate that your uterus is infected. This can happen if some products of conception are still present within the uterine cavity. You will then have to get ultrasonography done to confirm it. If it is incomplete abortion, you may have to undergo evacuation of the uterus under antibiotic umbrella. Since the throat infection happened after missed abortion, the possibility of septic focus present in the uterus should be considered seriously.

You have undergone a course of Augmentin and still the infection is not under control. So the organisms are not responding to Augmentin.

If there is any vaginal discharge, please submit it for culture and sensitivity which will identify the organisms and the antibiotics to which they are sensitive. You can seriously consider submitting throat swab also for culture and sensitivity. This will help us to choose the antibiotics to control you infection.

Your fever and high ESR are due to infection. So let us concentrate on controlling the infection.

I would appreciate if you upload all the reports and images for my review to enable me advise you further.

For any more information, I am always available for you, XXXXXXX Meanwhile, you may post a good review with 5 stars rating for me.

DR. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 40 hours later
I had a sonography done after ERCP. No products of conception seen however there was a small myoma seen. Also i have given you incorrect CRP count .It is 17.20. The fever started from 26th aug. I have enclosed all the reports.
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Culture and sensitivity on Throat swab / Urine examination

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

All your reports are suggesting some infection. Dengue and Malaria have been ruled out. There is no tissue found in the uterine cavity and you do not have any vaginal foul discharge also. Moreover, there is a history of bad throat infection. So the probable cause of the high fever is infection. The throat infection could be secondary to septic focus somewhere, possibly urine.

Monocef has not cured your infection. So please get the throat swab done for culture and sensitivity which will identify the organisms and the antibiotics to which they are sensitive. Along with, please get your urine examination done. If it shows any evidence of infection, submit if for culture and sensitivity. Accordingly, suitable and appropriate antibiotics can be chosen to treat the infection.

You may please upload the reports of throat swab and urine examination for my review.

Please feel free to ask for any more information and/or advice anytime.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 21 minutes later
I have done a urine culture on 11th August. Do i again have to do it?Also after i started taking the antibiotics I am having clear vaginal discharge although no foul smell. Not sure its because of the medicines. However doctor is not agreeing. Today i had a recheck up. The throat infection and chest congestion has improved. However fever is not getting ok. It usually rises at the evening time. I am very much worried.
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X-ray Chest and PCR for Tuberculosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Your reports suggest high ESR, Low Lymphocytes and raised CPR. Now you are reporting that you had chest congestion also. Moreover, you have now mentioned that you are getting EVENING fever. Do you get cough with expectorations?

Did you have X-ray chest done? If not please get it done. All these investigations with evening fever are suggesting a possibility of Tuberculosis. PCR test for tuberculosis gives quick results. Please get yourself thoroughly investigated for it. Moreover, get yourself tested for HIV, preferably by PCR test.

Please upload the reports.

I still insist on your throat swab for culture and sensitivity.

The news of urine analysis within normal limits is encouraging.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri