What do my blood test results indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: I'm an 81 year-old male in relatively good health. Recent blood tests showed PLT=105, RBC=4.00, HGB=12.8, MCHC=32.2, Urea N=27. Everything else was normal. I have spinal stenosis and have had an aortic valve replaced, am hard of hearing and have ARMD in both eyes (wet, right; dry. left). I am a moderate alcohol drinker (1 or 2 drinks 2 or 3 times a week). My family doctor sent me to a hematologist. I think she thinks I'm a alcoholic. She says I in 2 months I should have an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver and spleen and repeat blood tests.
I vacillate between thinking the platelet count means nothing to thinking it is a precursor to leukemia.
Should I have the ultrasound sooner? Should I ask to have a bone marrow test? Should I do nothing?
XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not very serious at this time

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have history of significant alcohol intake, though it may not be enough to call you an alcoholic. This can alter blood parameters, including low platelets. Associated vitamin B12 and folate deficiencies can also precipitate this.

Repeat blood test is the way to go, maybe after a couple of months as suggested. Liver and spleen also need to be evaluated at this time but after that may not be so frequently. Bone marrow is not warranted immediately. Blood for vitamin B12 and folate should be done.

I don't think this is a harbinger for leukemia in you.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thank you for the prompt and encouraging answer. B12 and folate were normal. I take a B12 supplement as it was low a year or so ago. Everything on the CBC and some additional blood work was normal except as noted.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
then it's fine

Detailed Answer:
Nothing of major concern then. Just get the abdominal ultrasound done to look at liver and spleen.