What do my blood test results indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello,
I was recently diagnosed with Stage 0 DCIS breast cancer. I have had surgery and have completed 7 weeks of radiation and am currently taking Tamoxifen. I had a blood test done in February and it showed my WBC at 5.5 and Immature Granulocytes at 4 and Immature Grans (ABS) at 0.2.

I had the test repeated in July and my WBC is now 3.3 and Immature Granulocytes are 5 and Immature Grans (ABS) are 0.2

My doctor said I should have the test repeated again in a month and to have it done at a different lab. If the results are the same I will be referred to a Hematologist.

Is this something I should be very concerned about and have the test repeated right away?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need filgastrim injections to increase counts

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from low counts of some white blood cell types due to radiations or chemotherapy and these are usual complications of such therapies and in most cases it is reversible.

Few steps which need to be taken are to keep a check on counts regularly and barrier nursing in severely low counts, or methods to avoid contracting infections from others using precautions while getting exposed to others without using masks and other protective gear.

It needs hematologist consultation as certain drugs like filgastrim are given in injection form under skin which promote the synthesis of these cell lines Ince again. These measures will hopefully help te regain the counts back to normal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad