question-icon

What do my blood test results indicate?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: Just received my lab results for blood work and won't be back to doctor for 2 weeks. After these results, they are referring me to hematologist. High White Blood Count , High PLT - Platelet Count, High NE # - White Blood Count , High MO% - Monocyte Percentage, High LY# - Immune System, High EO%, High BA%, Low ALT - Liver Function, Low FT4

My question is, is it possible that a hypothryroid could be the root of all of these abnormal blood results?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hypothyroid conditions generally are not not known to cause such changes in the complete blood count nor liver function.

It is appropriate that you have been referred to a hematologist who specialize in matters of the blood counts.

It is important to know your TSH too in order to understand the full thyroid picture. Based on that further hormone testing may also be necessary. You would be best served by seeing an endocrinologist in-person who would have the opportunity to examine you thoroughly.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist