• question-icon

What do my blood test reports indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello!
Please explain why my hemoglobin level keeps dropping even though I have no active or inactive bleeding. My meds are as follows:cartia, lipitor, aldactone, prednisone, docusatesenna, savella, singulair, potassium orally and IV twice a week, requip, lexapro, prilosec, neurontin, actonel, clonidine, and occasionally a Xanax for sleep. Attached are my lab reports from February 2nd and March 22nd. Thanks so much and God bless☺!
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likley iron deficiency anemia.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and reviewed both the reports.

Most likely, it is a iron deficiency anemia from the reports.

Your Aniso1+,Microcytic2+ and Hypochromic3+ is suggestive of that in your blood profile report dated 02/02/2016.

However,I would also advise you to check your blood iron profile (serum ferritin level etc),vitamin B12 and TSH (if not done earlier) to confirm iron deficiency and to rule out other causes (unlikely here) of low hemoglobin.

All the medications which you are taking are very unlikely to cause low hemoglobin.

For deworming, tab.albendazole 400 mg for once will be helpful after consulting to your doctor.

Oral iron supplements will be helpful to correct it's deficiency and have iron rich diet.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra