What do my blood test reports indicate while having viral fever?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi Doctor,
Our boy XXXXXXX (18 months) is suffering from fever for the last days. He fell ill as we came to a different place for vacation. We visited the doctor and he suggested Meftagesic DS 5 ml 3 times a day. He has a blocked nose and nasoclear was suggested as many times as required. We had a blood test done and the results are attached. Can you please elaborate the results for me.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood test looks like viral illness - don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Meftagesic contains Mefenamic acid which is a NSAID. It carries the risk of gastritis and renal problems in the long run. Please do not use Meftagesic. I believe playing safe is more important than bringing down the fever fast.

Coming to the blood test - this looks like viral illness. Nothing serious about this.

I have a few questions for you -
1. How many days of fever is it?
2. How is the activity of the kid when the fever touches baseline?
3. What are the other symptoms apart from fever?
4. Why was blood test performed?

Please get back with answers so that I can guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do my blood test reports indicate while having viral fever? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for the response.

It's been 2 days of fever
Don't see any visible symptoms
he has a complete blocked nose
we saw XXXXXXX to be very week and hence asked for an injection and so doctor asked us to get blood test done

Since you asked us to stop Meftagesic can you please recommend an alternative syrup to bring down fever and nose blockage.

last time around we were asked to use fepanil 125 mg 6-8 drops for fever below 100 and fepanil 250 mg 5 mg if the fever is above 101. If I remember it correct this is the dosage we followed.

Can you please suggest the syrup and the ml according to the fever readings please. Vihaan's weight is now 12.5 kg.
please let me know if you need more information from me to suggest better medication

thank you
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on blood test and medication for fever

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I have just gone through all your points.

1. Please do not put injection for fevers - it is not recommended. Injection for a child means only vaccination or injectable antibiotics for a sick child.
Paracetamol (fever medicine) either injected or given orally will act only for 4 hours. Fever in viral illness may last for 3-5 days and we cannot give intramuscular injections every 4th hourly for fever.

2. No need to worry about the report - this looks like a viral illness.

3. You can give Syrup P-250 4ml every 406th hourly that too only if temperature is more than 100F.

3. I do not see any need for any blood tests or urine tests as of now.

4. No need for any antibiotics also.

Hope this helps.

Please get back to me if you need anything else.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do my blood test reports indicate while having viral fever? 2 days later
Thanks Doctor,

You are such a great help every time we needed an expert advice.

Thank you
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am happy that I was of help to you

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I am also happy that I was able to help you in time of need.

I would have been even happier if you had mentioned a word that XXXXXXX is quite active and back to his normal self and playing around. No problem your thanks has suggested the same.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do my blood test reports indicate while having viral fever? 31 minutes later
I'm really sorry for not mentioning about Vihaan's health. His fever has subsided now but cough and cold are still there. we are not using any medicine for that though.

we are really happy that you have become a family doctor for us through this medium.

Thanks
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
So nice to hear from a happy parent

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... thank you so much for the feedback and also information about XXXXXXX I am happy that I have made a parent happy.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth