question-icon

What do my blood pressure readings indicate?

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015
Question: I have taken my blood pressure yesterday evening and this evening because I have felt a throbbing feeling in my head and neck and my heart seems to be beating faster than usual. The readings last night and again tonight after a period of rest are still abnormally high. 148/111 pulse93 and 163/100 pulse 100. I am a female, 74, not over weight and take regular walks. Should I make an appointment to see a Dr urgently?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to high blood pressure.

I recommend you to consult with your GP for a careful physical examination, a resting ECG and some blood lab tests:

- complete blood count
- PCR, sedimentation rate
- blood fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests, etc.

You should discuss with your doctor the possibility of starting antihypertensive therapy.

From the other side you should report this problem to the attending physician of the clinical trial as it may also be related to adverse effects of pioglitazone.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes!

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist