What do my MRI scan test results indicate?

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: At L4-L5, there is disc bulging asymmetric to the right. Annular tear is seen in the right central region. Spinal canal is patent. There is minimal stenosis of the left lateral recess, mild stenosis of the right lateral recess. There is mild stenosis of the bilateral neural foramina. This is the result and partial reading from my MRI. I would like to know what treatment plan you would suggest
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
when there is a tear, surgery is needed sooner or later.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Annular Tear + Minimal Stenosis of Left Lateral Recess + Mild Stenosis of Right Lateral Recess in a 57 year old individual is best treated by Surgery : Excision of the Disc

If there is no tear, but just a bulge, the condition can be managed by Conservative methods. But when there is a tear, surgery is needed sooner or later. And Sooner the Better.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee