What do my MRI scan test results indicate?
Is reasonable for eldest son, not much of an argument for the 3rd.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern. It is really unfortunate that your children have been plagued by so many health issues.
You say that kid #2, already has had a MRI, I suppose you mean follow up MRI.
It seems that the Chiari malformation is not isolated but more in the setting of a connective tissue disease. Often connective tissue diseases have a genetic component. Some of these are present in many families and so have been studied and characterized, like Ehlers- Danlos for example. There are inherited disorders though which may remained unnamed as are present only in individual families.
In this setting it seems that kid # 1&2 present manifestations of such connective tissue problems given their history of spinal column manifestations. So since these spinal issues tend to progress over the years I would say that the suspicion of Chiari is reasonable and MRIs are justified and can be requested. Of course, that depends a little from regulations, some might argue that if there are no symptoms there is not much to gain from a management point of view so expense is not justified, but given the particular history I would request it especially for kid #1 who hasn't had an MRI (for the 2nd a waiting tactic may be chosen if no new symptoms for some time).
After baseline MRIs are obtained then whether others are necessary in the future will depend upon new symptoms, if there aren't any I would say are not necessary.
As for kid no 3, it is hard to find an argument for a MRI in his case judging from his history, the only argument would be for purposes of research and documentation of this case, rather than to gain any benefit for his health.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Since headache and dizziness MRI may be considered for 6 yo as well
Thank you for the additional info.
You do make some good points there. Yes it is possible for the reflux to be in the setting of a neurogenic bladder and for the neurogenic bladder in turn to be in the setting of a spinal cord issue, though not so much chiari as much as TCS and syrinx. Now that you give the additional info about headaches and dizziness episodes I would say there is a good argument for the MRI. However neurogenic bladder very rarely is a lone symptom of spinal cord issues. Usually there is the case of other neurological deficits, motor or sensory ones, altered reflexes and so on. That is why it might be reasonable to have a neurological physical exam for such signs first, prior to doing MRIs right away. I mean you might ask why when MRI makes things much more easy, but at times there are financial questions at play.
I do not want to take me wrong, that you shouldn't ask for it. As I said you make a valid sensible point, there is nothing wrong with what you say, you do not sound pushy at all to me. And you must be the advocate of your children, should not think of costs. Decision at times depends on where you live, medical system there. In some centers/cities/countries MRIs are done routinely for screening purposes, in others may be more difficult to get one, depends on policies. All I mean to say is that if the doctor says a neurological consult is necessary first, or if he's confident there are no neurological signs from his own evaluation, it would be a good point. But you should bring the matter to his attention, whether he/she agrees on MRI or not, so that he considers the issue carefully.
As for your eldest daughter's MRI, I see only one MRI image, which based on the syrinx between C6-C7 I assumed to be of the little one. There are some small images at the bottom of the picture, but most seem to be from the same MRI, only one seems different, but image is so tiny I can't express any judgement. I do have the impression for there to be a CM, but can't see the dens at all. Anyway I still am a little old-fashioned and think symptoms and signs should guide exams, if she has been stable since the first MRI, has no signs on physical exam to indicate syringomyelia, repeat MRI may be reserved for the eventuality there are new symptoms and surgery is considered.
I hope to have been of help.
I viewed the image which you added. Now that I got a better view I do not think there is much of a descent of the cerebellar tonsils really, 2 mm at most which is really not much and doesn't cause any symptoms and shouldn't be a cause of syringomyelia.
I agree about the dens being posteriorly displaced on the other hand. Goes in hand with the history of laxity of joints. It can be an issue in the future in case instability increases. In terms of management though whether a MRI is made now or not it wouldn't change the management if there are no symptoms due to it, it is intervened only when there is cord compression clinically. So the reasoning I made before remains, if there are no such signs on neurological exam, I would perhaps reserve the MRI for a later time, in the eventuality such symptoms appear. Hopefully that won't be necessary.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do mri scans show
- What do mri scans detect
- Meaning of the mri scan results
- Mri scan on hand what to expect
- Done mri scan what does the result says
- What does these mri scan of spine indicate
- What do the findings in mri scan of spine indicate
- What does multicystic pineal lesion indicate in a mri scan
- Got an mri scan what does this report indicate
- Mri scan what to expect