What do my MRI scan test results indicate?
Diffuse annular disk bulge with posterocentral disk protrusion at L4-L5 with a small ill-defined extruded fragment extending inferiorly till the superior aspect of L5 vertebral body causing mild compression of the thecal sac and indenting traversing left L5 nerve root.
I have pain in hip area on left side ( a pain sensation) if i sit for more time. One Spine neuro surgeon advised surgery? Is it really required? Or i am being exploited.
Please upload MRI films/CD.
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.
I understand your concern very well and I shall try to guide you at my best.
I have gone through the MRI report you have uploaded.Though,it gives an idea of the disc pathology and thecal sac compression,however,in order to have a sound opinion-I need to look at the MRI so that I may have an impression of the extent of the pathology.That will help to formulate a logical opinion about the indication of surgery in your case.
Please upload the MRI film or CD on google drive and share the drive link here in the follow-up question,so that I can download it and view it.
I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.
Give your opinion in terms of what does the MRI report conclusion mean for a lay man like me to understand.
Based on this report and your symptoms,I can't suggest surgery.
Thanks for being in follow-up.
Fine! Based on this report and your symptoms-surgery can't be advised.
The reasons are-
1) There is only mild compression of the thecal sac and indenting traversing left L5 nerve root-in this case, medicines and regular physiotherapy is suggested,rather than surgery.If the compression effect would have been severe,then surgery could have been a choice.
2)Symptom is just pain in the hip-that too situational.There is no apparent neurological deficit like weakness in legs.So,there is no clinical indication for surgery.
Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do mri scans show
- What do mri scans detect
- Meaning of the mri scan results
- Mri scan on hand what to expect
- Done mri scan what does the result says
- What does these mri scan of spine indicate
- What do the findings in mri scan of spine indicate
- What does multicystic pineal lesion indicate in a mri scan
- Got an mri scan what does this report indicate
- Mri scan what to expect