• question-icon

What do my MRI scan test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello sir,
my Father is 74 year admitted on 01.11.2015 at RKCH XXXXXXX He was thoroughy Examined and investigated and Treatment started with inj.Cefepime +Tazoctum,Pantocid, Zofer,levipil,Midaz
claxane, Nebulisation with duolin and other Supportive Measures CT Scan Head Done S/o Left temporo-occipital lobe Geiosis Encephalomalacia left Thalamus,left BG tiny Lacunar Infarct.? Neurodegenerative Changes, mild Diffuse Brain atrophy.
this is the summery that hospital told me about my father and after 2 month they discharge my father at that time he was little bit drowsy but after that now he is at home but he is having full drowsiness
even now he can not eat any thing my his mouth only by rice tube we are feeding him liquid.
and current we are giving him Levesam 750 mg ecosprin Epsolin Encorate 300mg .

Please tell me how can i improve his health
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of neurodegenerative disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for asking from HCM. I can understand your concern.

Your father is having old damaged region in left side brain, most probably due to infarct or trauma. MRI report has mentioned that involvement is significant. As left side is dominant side, it means damage has caused significant deterioration in his mental, social, psychological and physical function. Thats why he is having severe deterioration in his consciousness and activity.

Treatment includes medication, behavioural therapy, physiotherapy, speech therapy and support.
Medication
: Ecospirin to prevent further event of ischemia/infarct
: Antilipid drug like Atorvastatin after proper prescription
: Few memory and cognitive function enhancing drugs like Citicoline/Piracetam/Amantadine/Co Q etc. These drugs have shown some good results. However there are costly and give mild to moderate results in 50-60% cases..
: Stem cell therapy - New treatment modality . Stem cells are injected in brain in damaged area and they form new functional cells. It is costly and still under trial. You can get information about it's availability from internet.

Occupational and physiotherapy are given to stretch muscles, increase power in muscles and making patient functional and self dependent. Best results are seen when given as early as possible and strictly followed.

Speech therapy is given after 3 months of insult. It helps in regaining language function. Please consult a speech therapist.

Mental support which is given by family. As he regains some function, support him, motivate him. Make him listen his favourite music, touch him, talk good things with him.

Regarding use of Epsilon, Encorate and Levesam, you can give them.

But if no seizure episode ever, you can ask your doctor what is the need of all these medication? These medication cannot be given prophylactically (prevention of first seizure episode).

Hope it will help you. Thanks. Take care.
Dr Ishu Bishnoi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical