• question-icon

What do my LFT test results indicate?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, I did my liver function test along with ultrasound and here are some results. I am very tensed and not sure what to do. I am going to die soon? I smoke and drink but not heavily
USG Abdomen with pelvis -->
The liver is enlarged (RLS: 19.2 cm) and shows grade I-II bright echotexture suggesting fatty infiltration. No focal parenchymal noted.

Liver Profile-->
Total Protein : 7.2 g/dl
Albumin 4.6 g/dl
globulin 2.6 g/dl
Albumin/Globulin ratio 1.8 ratio
ALT/SGPT 182 U/L
AST/SGOT 82 U/L

Glycosylated Hemoglobin, EDTA whole Blood-->
HBA1C 5.9
Mean plasma glucose :122.6 mg/dl

Blood Sugar fasting (OPD)
Glucose, fasting, plasma 97 mg/dl

Please help, I am very tensed and not sure what to look for.

Warm Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warning signals.

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX

I had read your query and seen the attached report.

The significant findings are raised SGPT and SGOT values which represent the liver function. However the ALT is normal. It has no mention about GGT values which mainly represent alcohol related injury to liver.
There is a fatty infiltration of grade 2 in the liver. This is to be noted and taken as warning. There seems inflammation of the liver with smoking as habit.
This can prove extremely toxic for you.
You should immediately take an oath to quit smoking. You should join a program that helps you quit smoking and alcohol. You are already seeing the results of long term smoking and alcohol through the report.
Please do not look back for dates. You should immediately set a quit date, announce it to the family and friends. You should bring mind, body and soul together and set the thing around you for the set 'Quit date'.

A very good part of this entire report is, if you quit smoking and moderate alcohol the changes are reversible. If all goes well your health can be equalled as a person's health who had never smoked at all within 5 to 10 yrs

All the best for your journey. I can be of any moral support to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later
Thank you so much doctor for your reply this was very helpful. I have once again attached my full liver profile report that has information for GGT as well. I would also like to consult with you regarding my sugar report which was attached. Below are the readings for my GGT and sugar test

GGT--> 60

HBA1C -->5.9
Mean Plasma Glucose--> 122.6

Glucose, fasting Plasma-->97

Thank you once again.

Warm Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 days later
Brief Answer:
No change in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I understand what you are going through now. There seems no concession in my opinion or my advice regarding your test report and the high risk profile that you carry on you.
GGT is good and HbA1c is ok. I will not be too impressed if you do not take quick decisions about quitting smoking.
You should understand that the toxins that you had produced yet on smoking are yet to create an irreversible impact on your physical health. So let me raise flags early before you repent.
Hope you understand the importance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar