• question-icon

What do my HSV test results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Infections
Question: Hello I had a hsv test done back in February, the results where .90negative 90-1.10equivocal 1.10 positive for antibodies for both hsv 1,2 but I never had any symptoms or outbreaks,or my boyfriend of 4 years nothing the test was a igg what do the results really mean? And also I had the chicken pox as a child

For both the index was at 5.00
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It does sadly indicate a positive result for now ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. IgG antibody testing is considered more accurate than IgM and so it should be quite accurate. Many individuals can return a positive result even without the presence of symptoms, so I would still recommend a repeat investigation to be conducted in a weeks time, but the results do for now indicate a positive result, which means the infection is present.

An index of 5.0 is considered positive, and so please do setup an appointment with your doctor for a repeat check in some time, and also discuss the initiation of anti-viral medication at the earliest. I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications, I am here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Thank you i took the.first test.feb. 10th my sec. Was march.11 both had the same result my.question is if i have it why didnt the doctors giv me meds even if im not having any out breaks
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
As long as you are asymptomatic, you do not need medications

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

Doctors choose to give the anti-viral medications only when symptoms are present, you are contagious only when the sores, blisters, etc; are present. So as long as you are asymptomatic, the doctors need not prescribe you any medications ma'am. That is why you weren't given any medication.

Best wishes. :)
Dr. Shoaib Khan