What do my EMG and NCS test results indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had an EMG and A Nerve conduction study done on me last week. the results said 1. Slow conduction velocities of the motor nerves throughout. 2. Conduction block of bilateral tibial nerves on proximal stimulation. The impression was that there was evidence of a motor demeylinating neuropathy. The MRI came back that there were no lesions. What do you suspect of this?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Demyelinating polineuropathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since according to the EMG and nerve conduction study results, only motor nerves are involved and there are found both, conduction block and slow conduction velocities, demyelinating polineuropathies are most likely the cause of such findings.

This is reinforced by normal spine MRI results.

Demyelinating polineuropathies include chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (related to Guillaine-Barre syndrome) and multifocal polyneuropathy.

Uniform changes on EMG and nerve conduction study may indicate also hereditary type of demyelinating polineuropathy and this can be confirmed by genetic testing.

It is necessary to be evaluated by a Neurologist in order to achieve a correct diagnosis of your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 12 minutes later
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer. My biggest symptom is numbness. Can numbness be caused by this neuropathy even though my neuropathy is only a motor neuropathy? And is this treatable?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably small nerve fibers involved.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

These studies results don't justify sensory symptoms, but in cases with small fibers neuropathy nerve conduction studies result normal ( for sensory nerves ) despite the symptoms.

If it is treatable, first is necessary to get the correct diagnosis of the neuropathy.

Again, evaluation by an experienced Neurologist is indispensable in determining the diagnosis.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 38 hours later
This was the results. The MRI showed no seizures. Any guess on what this is or may be? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multifocal motor neuropathy to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

A possible condition to consider in your case is multifocal motor neuropathy.
Discuss with your Neurologist about it.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 46 hours later
My symptoms are proprioception loss. Is proprioception from the motor nervous system or the sensory system?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
A modality of the sensory nervous system.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Propriocepsion is a modality of the sensory nervous system and pathways, so, sensation is considered to be affected in your case too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Does this indicate sensory nerve problems?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

Yes, it means that sensory part of the nervous pathways (probably small fibers) are affected too.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 31 hours later
Do these results indicate why i would have proproceptive loss and is that responsive to ivig?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Propriocepsion is a modality of sensory nervous system.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

Propriocepsion is a modality that belongs to sensory part of the nervous system, so, this indicates that sensory nerves are affected as well (clinically).

On the other hand, NCS and EMG results don't support this involvement, but, as I mentioned before, if the small nerve fibers are damaged by neuropathy, it could not show up in nerves functions studies.

If the neuropathy is found to be immune mediated, ivig may help in improving it.

Hope this helps.

Regards.