question-icon

What do my CT scan test results indicate?

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: I had a ct scan /myelogram done on lumbar for possible back surgery, they report showed amass 3.8x 3.0 cm.left adrenal gland inconsistent with an adrenal adenoma. then had a MRI with adrenal gland protocol. it showed a mass 3.6x 2.6 cm. not consistent with lipid rich benign adenoma. next is a biopsy to exclude other etiologies. all other findings, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, kidneys aorta/ vascular, retroperitoneum, bowel/ mesentery, abdominal wall, bones were all normal. If it is cancer does it sound contained to the adrenal gland and what would be the outcome.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
surgery may be required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

The full MRI report is not enclosed so it is really difficult to say if it looks contained to the adrenal gland. But 3.6 cm is not too large and most probably it will be confined to the gland. One option would be to do the CT guided biopsy as advised. Otherwise, we can directly go for a laparoscopic adrenalectomy. That will take care of the diagnosis and treatment in one go.

I still feel it is benign only. But even if it is cancer of adrenal gland, as it is small, outcome will be excellent after surgery.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist