What do my CT scan test reports indicate?

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My dad who is 84 years met with an accident and fell face down. The first CT scan dated 18th April read as follows:
Acute Interhemispheric bleeding noted, measuring 5mm at maximal thinckness.
Trace of acute subarachanoid bleed in bilateral parietal sulci.
Generalized age related prominence of ventricles and sulcal spaces noted.
Rest of the cerebral parenchyma appears normal.
No midline shift.
Midline, pons and medulla appear normal.
Bilateral cerebral hemispheres appear normal.
Bony Calvarium appears normal.
Imaged mastoids and paranasal sinuses are normal.
Impression: Acute Interhemispheric bleeding, Trace of acute subarachanoid bleed in bilateral parietal sulci.

A follow-up CT scan dated 25th April read:
Diffuse cerebral atrophic changes in the form of prominence of sulci, ventricles and cisternal spaces.
Subdural hygromas seen in bilateral frontal regions.
Cerebral hemispheres are normal in attenuation.
Basal ganglia and thalami are normal.
No e/o intra axial collection/lesion.
Visualized sinuses are normal.
Impression: Diffuse age related brain atrophy with bilateral frontal subdural hygromas.

My question is, he is still having giddiness while getting up and intermittent headaches. From the CT Scan, is everything looking okay ?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Specific information

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal. I have read your message. I think I can help you.
The CT reports suggest that there is a improvement in the ct scan.
The bleed in the brain is cleared.
However, there is still some hygroma or fluid collection left in the covers of the brain.
So u will need to wait for the collection to clear off.
Meanwhile, start with balancing exercises. Your regular physiotherapist should be able to help you find the best exercises suitable for his age and current deficits.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist