• question-icon

What do my BP readings indicate?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What could cause a sudden spike in BP. Yesterday my BP was 129/68. Today it registered 178/82. I have no symptoms of any other problem.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this spike in blood pressure values could be related to physical or emotional stress.

Have you been anxious today? Have you performed any strenuous physical activity?

You should know that during physical and emotional stress the sympathetic nervous system is activated, leading to increased levels of adrenaline and noradrenaline, causing increased blood pressure and heart rate values.

From the other hand coffee and salt intake can also lead to a blood pressure spike. Did you consume spicy food today or a lot of coffee?

I would recommend you to have some rest and avoid physical activity until your blood pressure values are normal again.

If these high blood pressure values persist in the next days, I recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests to investigate for secondary causes of high blood pressure:

- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count for anemia
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels
- fasting glucose.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist