What do mitral valve calcification and grade 1 MR in an Echo report indicate?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear Dr,

Please find attached 2D Echo with respect to your earlier opinion. Have attached your previosu suggestion also. Kindly advice further.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Echo is having some minor abnormalities

Detailed Answer:

Echo is fine with some minor abnormalities like mitral valve calcification and grade 1 MR and some others. These are age-related changes and needs no active treatment.

Now, going through the previous discussion, it appears that he has atrial fibrillation as well.

So such patients need blood thinners to prevent the formation of blood clot in heart and subsequent stroke. So we usually start Tab Acitrom 1 mg once a day at 6 pm.

Patients on this medicine need to get INR test done repeatedly to look for the level of blood thinning. As it is a blood thinner, it can increase the risk of bleeding.

Patient on this, should not consume green leafy vegetables in excess amount but should have it mild to mod quantity and daily in equal quantities to prevent fluctuations in blood thinning.

So you get this prescribed from a local doctor and get INR test done after one week.

Also, let me know whether he is having any hypertension, diabetes, history of stroke minor or major in the past or any other disease.

This is to know his risk of stroke and how badly he needs anticoagulation.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T