What do missed periods and negative pregnancy test report indicate?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

I have missed my last two monthly cycles. My periods are supposed to come every first week of the month and I think I am going to miss a third consecutive cycle. I have taken pregnancy test and its negative.

I have heard that taking Birth control pills regularizes monthly cycles. But, please note that I have never ever taken Birth Control Pills, we have always used precautions.

I am not sure what is causing to miss my periods, I do feel acidic and nauseous on and off.

I am also getting some facial hair ( not much ) but it was never noticeable but now i can note that in mirror, which is irritating me.

We are planning to have a child next year and I want to avoid any such complications. Missing periods is scarring me.

My main question is should i take Birth Control Pills? If yes, Can you suggest one as I have never had one? I live in US, so can you recommend one which is available in US.

Looking forward to hear back.

Thanks..
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably PCOS.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM,

I can understand your concerns,

You have missed consecutive periods with negative pregnancy tests. You are also having facial hairs.

These signs are suggestive of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
I would suggest you to go for ultrasound abdomen to confirm.
Blood hormonal tests like LH/FSH ratio, Serum testosterone will also be needed.

Regarding Birth control pills, My advise is to start the combined birth control pills like XXXXXXX as these help in regularising periods in your condition.

Kindly consult your doctor and discuss these issues.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj