What do lymphocyte levels of 6.0 indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I did a blood test back in October and my lymphocytes were elevated (6.5), I repeated the test this month and now the lymphocytes are at 6.0. Overall, I feel fine - I get some chronic/recurrent tonsillitis. The rest of the white cells and red cells are fine; ESR is at 2. Should I be worried about lymphocytes?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Normal ESR means no inflammation present.

Detailed Answer:

No, you should not be worried about the lymphocyte count if the other results are normal.

Lymphocytes are one type of white blood cell and they are not interpreted on their own but are usually interpreted along with the white cell count.

An increase in lymphocytes can sometimes occur in viral infections though again, the total white cell should increase as well.

ESR- is a non specific inflammatory marker- this means that it goes up with any inflammation in the body.

Infection, allergies, trauma, autoimmune disease like lupus or RA, cancer.
An ESR of 2 is normal.

This means that there was absolutely no significant inflammation going on at the time of the test.

If an infection or autoimmune disease or cancer or trauma or significant allergic response was present--- then the ESR would be higher.

There is no need to worry at this point

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 minutes later
Thank you doctor,

So what does it mean when I have mild lymphocytosis and everything else is normal? - is it a forerunner or some malignancies? or it just could be my norm?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

No cancer present, normal ESR.

Detailed Answer:

This can occur in slight infection (viral), with other results normal, the finding is not significant

The normal ESR mean that no cancer is present.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician