What do lumps behind ears indicate?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: My boyfriend just showed my two lumps behind his right ear...one that is visible - about the size of a pea, not very painful, feels hard. One sits just below that and is perhaps the size of a nickel. It does not protrude, but it hurts him and when he presses on it, he feels the pain go behind the ear and up the side of his head. I was just going on line to see if I saw anything similar.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is he having any other symptoms?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these lumps that you have described. This most likely represents swollen lymph nodes. The most common cause of swollen lumps like these are infections in the head region. Is your friend having any symptoms of cold, flu, running nostrils, pains swallowing food, ear pain, toothache, etc.? These are the common infections that are responsible for this.

Treatment consist in controlling the primary infection. Pain medications and measures like ice or heat packs help lessen the symptoms while the primary infection site gets controlled.

Please, respond to let me know what other symptoms he has so that I can make recommendations on a treatment plan. I wish him a speedy recovery and thanks for trusting us with your health query this day.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
I just checked with him, and he does not have any other symptoms. Not aware of any infection.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is this pain spontaneous or provoked?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

If this pain is spontaneous and not provoked, I will suggest that he visits a doctor to get this lump examined.

If it is provoked, this might have resulted from a previous infection and these are just remaining markers. He should do nothing, avoid touching and monitor to see if there are any changes to report to the doctors!

I hope this helps. I wish him well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
It is spontaneous, sort of "appeared out of nowhere." He tells me that he noticed the lumps on July 31st. I will tell him your suggestion to see a doctor. Would that be the GP or a specialist? What do you think could have caused it?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

Most lymph nodes, especially around the head an neck region of small dimensions are caused by common infections. manipulating the can lead to pain.

He should see his general practitioner for assessment and management first. If the doctor thinks a specialist's attention is needed, then he would be referred to the right quarters.

Otherwise, I wish hi the best of possible outcomes.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 minutes later
Possible outcomes????
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible outcomes....

Detailed Answer:
This is to say the cause of this finding could be concerning or less concerning. Among all of the possibilities, I wish him the most less concerning. That Is what I mean by the best of all possible outcomes from clinical evaluation and maybe laboratory investigations.

Thanks and feel free to ask for more clarifications if need be. sorry for not coming across and understood as exactly intended.

I wish you both well.