What do lower abdominal pain and stringy dark red blood after intercourse suggest?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I had protected sex twice on the 16th and 18th during my period, my boyfriend used a condom both times and he did take my virginity, but I'm experiencing lots of lower stomach pain and discharge with stringy dark red blood not a lot but a little.. I took a pregnancy test the 27th and it came out negative, Could I be pregnant or is this normal? The condom both times appeared to be intact. I'm worried.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pregnancy is not very likely

Detailed Answer:

conception requires the presence of alive sperm when your ova is released and ready for fertilization. This means that you may conceive during a 6 day period starting from 5 days prior to your ovulation and ending 24 hours after ovulation. If your partner's sperm in your vagina lived for less than 6 days then the conception window would be even smaller.

The ovulation day cannot be predicted based on your period. You only know the day of ovulation after your next period has come. The ovulation day is exactly 14 days before the start of the next period. In a normal cycle of 28 days your period should start 14 days before ovulation, so this is your case then no conception could be achieved during your period. If you're going to have a 21 day cycle then conception is possible.

Besides that, the pregnancy test should be done after the missed period. If you'd like a faster answer then you have to measure your blood beta chorionic gonadotropin. This hormone starts to rise about 10-14 days after conception.

The blood you've seen is probably due to the rupture of your virginity hymen.

So in conclusion I do not consider pregnancy possible. There could be a slight chance if you have a 21 day cycle only. An intact condom makes conception highly unlikely by itself even if you had sex on a fertile day.

I hope I've not confused you with the details. Contact me again, if you have more questions.

Kind Regards!