What do low testosterone levels indicate?

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: If my testosterone is below 20ng/dl by chemical castration, is my infertility confirmed and guaranteed?

Because even with surgical castration the testosterone is 20ng/dl so I want to be sure.
33 male.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No you are not permanently infertile even at testosterone 20.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I think the chemical castration is not permanent and it has effects on your sexual libido mainly. It is reversible and your testosterone levels can revert back to normal also.

So the answer is no, you are not permanently infertile.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 20 minutes later
Thanks. Is there any way of becoming permanently infertile without surgery?
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to take medicines continuously for that

Detailed Answer:
Hi I think if permanent infertility is required, you can continue with the chemical castration at intervals. But there are side effects on your heart and bones if you continue it for long. Do surgery like vasectomy is a better option to become infertile.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 42 minutes later
Thanks. I am just scared of any surgery. I am currently taking 150ml depo provera weekly and 200mg Androcur daily. I am happy to take these constantly and not worried about the side effects. Is that ok or should I increase the dosage? Male. 33.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The dose is fine.Do not increase the dose.

Detailed Answer:
Hi the medicines and dose which you are taking is fine. No need to increase it. What you can do is to monitor your testosterone levels at intervals. Also get your ecg and bone marrow density checked after 6 to 12 months of usage if possible. That will tell you regarding any side effects about to occur in future and you can stop taking them in time if at all required.
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 22 minutes later
Thanks. I am also thinking to use Lupron as I was told that it is very powerful in reducing testosterone. What do you recommend?
Brief Answer:
You can use that.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I think you can use lupron also. It is more effective than depo. But side effects are the same.
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 21 hours later
Thanks. I am in Australia and Lupron is expensive. Is there a way I can order online from XXXXXXX please?
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am not sure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, actually I am not sure regarding this.

You can find this online. Many websites are there. You can contact them directly.