What do low chloride and sodium levels mean?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Oct 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: What do low chlorides and low sodium mean.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its an electrolyte imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear.
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Normal sodium level in the blood is around 140 meq per liter. It is responsible for maintaining water and electrolyte balance in the body. So whenever level of sodium decreased it causes imbalance and cells start to swell. It leads to many symptoms like nausea, headache, confusion etc.
Same way normal chloride level is 97 to 107 Meq per liter. If chloride level decrease it leads to metabolic alkalosis and respiratory acidosis.
There are many causes for decrease sodium and chloride level.
Most common cause is vomiting and diarrhea. Many other causes like kidney disease, protein loosing etc are there. In routine practice most commonly its due to diarrhea and vomiting.
Treatment is simple just take iv fluid and electrolyte to maintain this balance.
So consult your doctor and search for the cause of that and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your question,
if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 25 minutes later
I have had low sodium levels inthe past with no known cause- no vomiting or diarrhea.Iwas treated by IV and spent overnight in the hospital. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years. I have watched my liquid intake, but it still keeps happening. In addition my last 2 blood tests have showed low chlorides. No symptoms present there either. Are the 2 related? Also a recent urine test showed blood present. The blood is not visible looking at it. I have a doctors appointment in the next few weeks. I would like to know good questions to ask. My doctor seems to wait for problems to unfold. I want to be more proactive.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly both are related.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. You have repeated attacks of hyponatremia. If you don't have any vomiting or diarrhoea then you should search for other cause. As you said you have blood in urine you must have some lower urogenital tract lesion or kidney disease. Kidney disease is known to cause low sodium level and secondarily low chloride level. You may have some kidney disease or may have some other causes also. So ask your doctor for that. If needed go for further investigation to check your renal system. Find the cause and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have any doubts then you can ask me. I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.