What do low MCHC levels indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 13 Oct 2018 in Lupus
Question: I have several blood test indicators including C reactive protein at .8 I have been diagnosed with arteritis.
ALK - 168
Low MCHC 31.5
e-gfr 54
total protein 7.7
I have also had thrush for 7 yrs, severe bone pain that is wide spread and fatigued.
I have done some research and see Biologics, Antibiotics, Immunomodulators, corticosteroids and 5-aminosaicylatates. What medication is recommended?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

What made you seek medical attention (for detection of arteritis)?

Detailed Answer:

Your low MCHC calls for iron supplementation and I would insist you to take iron pills. You can find iron in both animal and plant foods.

Animal sources (called “heme iron”) include meat, fish and poultry. Our bodies easily absorb this type of iron.

Plant sources (called “non-heme iron”) include dried beans, peas and lentils and some fruits and vegetables.

Your e-GFR shows Mild to moderate decrease and I would need your to elaborate on the problem.

Please mention your creatinine level and whether you are a diabetic. Please mention if you are a diabetic.

Total protein is in the acceptable range. The alkaline phosphatase is slightly out of range but that does not seem to be a cause for concern.

Please mention if you are an alcoholic.

I would be able to comment further on rest of the issues after getting your inputs.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad