What do low BP levels with flu-like symptoms indicate?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been sick since Sunday afternoon with some kind of "flu bug". I got sick very suddenly running a fever and having a deep cough. Sunday night I would fall every time I got up to go to the bathroom. I didn't feel like I had the strength to remain standing. I was very nauseated but had nothing in my stomach to throw up. I just gagged 3-4 times and then collapsed on the floor too weak to get up. The next day I was quite a bit better. I slept all day and could drink liquids but still has no appetite. However today I feel like I am going to collapse every time I get out of bed. I took my blood pressure and it was 108/59 lying down but dropped to 80/44 when I stood up. I normally have very high blood pressure and am on several medications to control it. Is this anything to be concerned about? Is there any type of medicine that will cure this kind of illness? My main complaints are the weakness, a terrible headache, and a very deep cough.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to see a doctor immediately

Detailed Answer:
The drop in your blood pressure indicates that you are very dehydrated and in need of IV fluids immediately. You may have something serious like pneumonia or some other kind of infection. You need to go to emergency right away and be evaluated and treated.
Do not delay, this could be very serious.
Go to the emergency department now, by ambulance if that is what it takes.
Dr. Robinson