What do loud high-pitched sounds from the left ear indicate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: im a healthy 36 yr old male. I noticed about 48hrs ago that when a very loud higher pitched sound is around that my left ear kind of makes a sound like an old speaker that is turned up to loud, its bad enough that i have to cover that ear and get away from the sound. No real pain or discomfort in day to day situations but its clearly not normal and isn't consistent with the reaction my right ear has to the same sounds. Any idea what could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Very loud noise above 85 decibels is harmful for inner ear and that loud speaker like sound is ear trying to muffle it with its middle ear apparatus . You need to cover your ears around noise pollution and get evaluated for both ears auditory functions and vestibular functions. I would want to rule out tinnitus as well if the sound is continuous in the ear. Visit any nearby otolaryngologist and let them have a look.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan