What do lightheadedness and vertigo after recovering from a cold indicate?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 in Infections
Question: I came down with a cold on XXXXXXX 18. Very little sore throat and no nose blowing, just a bad cough. On XXXXXXX 26 I started getting dizzy. A month later the cold is gone but I am still dizzy and lightheaded with balance issues. Blood pressure has been high one day and normal the next. I do not have high blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Pressure equalization in the middle ear

Detailed Answer:

It looks like you the mucus and tiny droplets because of oedema had extended to the eustachian tube.

This tube actually helps equalization of pressure between the external ear and inside.

If this tube is blocked because of oedema it does not correctly equalize the pressure with the external environment.

So you tend to feel dizzy and light headed. Chewing gum constantly helps to equalize the pressure.

However, balancing is uncommon with this eustachian tube block which needs a separate examination.

So my take is this cold had exposed some hidden problem within you. It is better to get this tested.

If I were your doctor I still suggest continuing taking Tablet Claritin which helps to absorb and get quicker.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician