Owl Image

What do lesions on lower ankle indicate?

Owl Image
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Question
I have a dermatologist follow up appointment in two weeks and one area of interest he had were two lesions on my lower right ankle. he opted to not remove them but marked them on my chart and instead opted to remove three other moles that were biopsied and were mildly atypical. t
These two lessons have been in the same location for years and have not grown or evolved. they are both 3mm in size and slightly raised. I also have some dermatofibromas on the same leg. In regards to these two specific lesions are these likely benign lessions? Such as more dysplastic moles or dermatofibromas. I'm sure if they were of major concern he would have removed them too. Do you agree? I have no history of melanoma nor do I have a family history of melanoma. I've had about 10 moles removed over the the past 5 years that have been mild, and moderately dysplastic
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They can be followed up at regular intervals

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. I remember talking to you few days back.

I am Dr. Kakkar. I answered your previous related query too.

For a nevus to be labelled as dysplastic it should fulfil at least 3 out of the following 5 criteria:

1. Size >5 mm diameter
2. Ill-defined or blurred borders
3. Irregular margin resulting in an unusual shape
4. Varying shades of colour (mostly pink, XXXXXXX brown, black)
5. Flat and bumpy components

Now, if you look at the picture we can see that the margins are well defined, they look symmetrical(if divided into 2 halves) and regular, size is < 5 mm. The features that go in towards dysplastic nevus are varying shades of color and bumpy component.

Therefore these lesions don't fulfil the required 3 criteria for a dysplastic nevus and can be left alone as of now. They should be followed up with visual self assessment, photographic and dermatologist assessment at regular intervals (say every 6 months) and if they develop any change towards frankly dysplastic lesions(e.g any increase in size or asymmetricity) they can be removed as and when they change. Nothing to worry about these lesions as of now.