question-icon

What do lesions between vagina and rectum indicate?

Posted on Thu, 13 Mar 2014
Question: I have something bulging from the area between my vagina and rectum. I have had it for about a year. I had a hysterectomy in 2002. What could it be and is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The most common lesions here could be small vaginal / anal skin tags. These are quite common and quite harmless, and do not require removal unless for cosmetic reasons. They could also be warts, if you have had such a history. Small polyps also could arise in this region, as could benigh / malignant cysts or growths. After a hysterectomy, the muscles surrounding the vagina and rectum undergo laxity, this bulge could be a rectocele ( protrusion of the lax tissues behind the vagina and in front of the rectum ) Could you please upload a picture so that I can opine better ? Take care.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN