What do itchy sores on the scrotum indicate?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have 3 or 4 small sores on my penis/scrotum and 3 or 4 small red bumps on my forehead just under my hairline. I'm worried I may have scabies or an std but I'm not sure how to tell and I'm not sure what course of action to take next.

The sores are not really painful, just itchy, which is why I wonder if it is scabies as opposed to herpes. That and they are not clusters of small blisters, but rather just single sores spread out from each other.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be pearly penile papules or cystic acne but not herpes or scabies.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Either it could be pearly penile papules or subcutaneous lump or small boil or cystic acne.

It does not seem to be here herpes or scabies.

As you said it is not located around the penis/scrotum means it could be at the junction of penis and scrotum.

The important thing is to diagnose it first by a clinical examination by a general surgeon by doing inspection and palpation.Here,it does not seem to be due to any STDs or herpes virus.

The following treatment would be helpful.

1) Hot Seitz bath-Sit for 15-- 20 minutes and also clean off any clear or whitish secretion. Do it at least twice a day.

2. Local Steroid cream/ointment application-
Clean off and wipe off the area clean and dry,following which apply local Steroid Ointment Like Betamethasone The bump should start subsiding after 3-5 of Ointment application.

3. You can be given oral antibiotics like cephalosporins (cefadroxyl 500 or cefixime 200) or quinolones or macrolides.

Consult your GP or dermatologist (if takes time to consult him) for above treatment prescription and who can write complete history and thoroughly clinical examination and further treatment.

Do ask if there is any query.
Thanks.

Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 19 hours later
I have attached two images, please let me know if these help with identifying what this may be.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be cystic acne or pearly penile papule,herpes or scabies unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up.

After going through this picture,it seems to be either cystic acne or pearly penile papule.

The chances of herpes or scabies is very unlikely because herpes or scabies lesion more seen in clusters,here you do have singe red bump or sore.
So,be rested about STDs.You do not have any STDs.

I think you should start with oral antibiotic as i mentioned in my previous answer with topical steroid application.

As all this medications required prescription,you must see some experienced GP or local doctor(if it takes longer time for dermatologist appointment) who will inspect the lesion carefully and can order relevant investigations and prescribe the treatment.

Wishing you h good health,

Dr. Sandip Kabra