What do intermittent chest pain indicate?

Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi
Having chest pain on & off , with little lightheaded. It's like a crushing pain & tightness sometimes going into arm & sholders. Had it lchevked out last year but all ok . Lots of anxiety at moment. I have hiatus hernia too .?!
On beta blockers & antidepressant this yrs. but pain getting more regular &scares me. Had frozen shoulder too Thought that might cause pain to radiate to chest???
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concern.
Chest pain radiating to arm is usually either related to heart or abdomen.
Intially i would suggest you to go for few baseline investigations of cardiology like 2d echo and stress test.They are highly specific to diagnose coronary artery disease. Blockage in one or more coronary artery disease can cause angina and this pain usually is radiated to arms.

However if 2 d echo and stress rests are normal gastric involvement should be suspected.
Excessive production of acid and its reflux back into esophagus often irritates the gastric mucosa and cause severe inflammation which presents itself as chest pain and often radiated to arm.
Anxiety makes the symptoms worse.High levels of anxiety stimualtes the autonomous nervous system causining increased secretion and reflux of acid.Hiatus Her. makes thing more worse.

So intially go for cardiac tests if they are normal proper tretament for gastritis and frozen shoulder would be given

Kindly attach the name and doses of medications tried for gastritis and h.pylori with follow up.
Hope i answered your query well.
Revert back for follow ups.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist