What do intermittent brown colored urine indicate?
Hematuria- blood in the urine, may not be due to serious cause
Brown colored urine is most commonly due to blood in the urine. This is called hematuria.
In many cases, hematuria does not mean that there is a serious underlying condition. It can be due to simple causes for some persons. In some older men, it can be due to a benign (not cancerous) enlarged prostate.'
A presence of blood would first need to be confirmed by a urinalysis at your doctor's office.
Urine may also need to be sent to the lab to rule out infection.
Causes of hematuria--
(1)BPH and infection of the urinary tract- both mentioned above
(3)cancer of some aspect of the urinary
tract- bladder, prostate, kidney etc
(4)side effect of medication such as meds to prevent clotting
If blood in confirmed then further testing may be needed unless your is already aware of the cause eg if you have a history of enlarged prostate and had recent testing to rule out cancerous changes, then would be the likely cause.
In addition to the urine to the lab, further testing would include imaging such as an ultrasound.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does blood in urine indicate
- What could frequent urination indicate
- What could be the cause of brown colored urine
- What does green color during urination indicate
- What does foamy urine indicate
- Brown colored urine stains
- What does smelly urine indicate
- What is amber colored urine
- What indicates a continuous urine
- What does rusty color urine indicate