question-icon

What do inflammation near the rectum with the discharge of blood and abdominal cramps indicate?

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018
Question: my 5 year old grandson has had redness around the rectum and a slight discharge of blood/mucus . he had a bad cramp . His doctor has prescribed antibiotics (after taking a swab) I am worried that he may have ulcerative colitis. What can I do to help ?

Are there any foods for him I should avoid?
How can I help him ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Dysentery

Detailed Answer:

Based on the description it seems that your grandson has developed an episode of dysentery.

Such a thing occurs due to infection with certain aggressive bacteria. Treatment with antibiotics should take care of the infection.

Spicy food needs to be avoided but other than that there are no specific food restrictions.

You need not worry about ulcerative colitis since it is very unlikely in children of this age.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician